Proof copies for Confessions of a Homeschool Mom should arrive today! Then, off they go to a wonderful team of beta readers.
What are beta readers?
Beta readers are the next set of eyes that will review the manuscript. These people come to the manuscript with fresh perspective and suggest ways that I can make the story more interesting, easier to read, and more understandable.
I have been living in this manuscript for right at 2 years now. My vision has undoubtedly grown dull. I need others to critique my work and to tell me if I have said what I think I have said.
Beta readers answer questions such as:
- Did the first chapter make you want to read more?
- Did the story hold your interest until the end? If not, where did your interest lag?
- Did you relate to the characters? Do particular characters need more development?
- Where any parts of the story confusing? Were there parts that would be better left out? Did you find holes that need to be filled?
- Did the ending provide a sense of closure? Did you find any unresolved issues that need to be further addressed?
- Is this a book that you could enthusiastically recommend to your friends?
I enjoy writing, and I want to be continually improving my craft. My next book should be better than the one before it. If it isn’t, then I have ceased to grow and learn.
I do not want that to happen!
Thankfully, these beta readers challenge me to stretch, grow, learn, and improve. Their critical input helps me become a better writer.
Thank you, beta readers!